Student Complaints

Connors State College students may need to pursue questions or concerns involving academic or nonacademic aspects of student life.

A student complaint may involve an CSC employee (faculty, staff or student-employee) or other students. Students with a complaint involving an employee should first seek to resolve the issue with the employee. If the matter cannot be resolved with the employee, the complaint can be forwarded to the employee’s supervisor. This form is to be used to submit a formal complaint when a student has been unable to satisfactorily resolve an issue with the faculty, staff, students or others involved.

Fields marked with a * are required

Description of Incident or Concern

Please provide a detailed description of the incident/concern using specific concise, objective language (who, what, where, when, why, and how).

Please also include any history of the incident (what steps have been taken previously to remedy this situation? What has been contacted and when?)

Full Name of Individual(s) Involved (student, faculty or staff)